Swimming is the most popular summer activity. These are some safety tips you can follow to help your friends and family stay safe on and around water.
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Do not allow anyone to swim alone. Even at a public pool or a lifeguarded beach, use the buddy system!
- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear life jackets around water, but do not rely on life jackets alone.
- Maintain constant supervision when inexperienced swimmers or young children are swimming even if there are life guards.
You can also follow the American Red Cross on Twitter and get great advice.
- Establish rules for your family and enforce them without fail. For example, set limits based on each person’s ability, do not let anyone play around drains and suction fittings, and do not allow swimmers to hyperventilate before swimming under water or have breath-holding contests.
- If you go boating, wear a life jacket! Most boating fatalities occur from drowning.
- Prevent Unsupervised Access to the Water
- Actively supervise kids whenever around the water—even if lifeguards are present.
- Always stay within arm’s reach of young children and avoid distractions when supervising children around water.
- Know What to Do in an Emergency. If a child is missing, check the water first. Seconds count in preventing death or disability.
Life is better in flip flops! Enjoy it safely.
- Never leave a young child unattended near water and do not trust a child’s life to another child; teach children to always ask permission to go near water.
- Avoid alcohol use. Alcohol impairs judgment, balance and coordination; affects swimming and diving skills; and reduces the body’s ability to stay warm.
- Do not just drop your kids off at the public pool or leave them at the beach—designate a responsible adult to supervise.
Would you like to learn more about water safety? Have a look at the information provided by the Red Cross regarding water safety CPR and other very interesting subjects.
Be safe and enjoy your summer!
Let’s be honest there are few things better than live music to make you feel alive. On the first week of 2017 Mallorca has a very interesting live music offer with a wide range of styles and locations to suit everyone’s liking. These two are the best for our team.
O’veus is playing in Alcudia Auditorium 3rd January 2017
Start the year helping a good cause. Can you imagine anything better than helping children in a difficult situation while enjoying a nice concert? We highly recommend you going to the charity concert PER ELLS by O’VEUS in Alcudia Auditorium on the 3rd of January 2017.
O’Veus is a group that sings a cappella reinterpreting songs to make them their own with their original style. This year they collaborate with the association PER ELLS that has been working helping children from Belarus and Ukraine for more than a decade, managing their reception during the summer and Christmas in Majorcan families. Last December 18th 11 children arrived and thanks to this association they have had a different Christmas on our island.
Price: € 8 for adults and € 5 for children under 12.
Don Giovani in Auditori de Manacor 8th January 2017
The New Year begins with classical music. Enjoy the Opera Don Giovanni at the Teatro de Manacor on 8th January. The Symphonic Orchestra of the Balearic Islands is playing the opera Don Giovanni under the direction of Pablo Mielgo with the following distribution:
- Don Giovanni: Nicola Ulivieri
- Donna Anna: Mariola Cantarero
- Donna Elvira: Raffaella Lupinacci
- Leporello: Simón Orfila
- Zerlina: Ruth Iniesta
- Masseto: Francisco Crespo
- Don Ottavio: José Luis Sola
- Commendatore: Francisco de Santiago
Il dissoluto punito, ossia il Don Giovanni is a playful drama in two acts with music by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and libreto in Italian by Lorenzo da Ponte based on the work of Antonio de Zamora that mixes comedy, melodrama and supernatural elements.
- Contact with the Theater of Manacor:
- Phone: 971 55 45 49
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Whether you choose one or both of these options, or if you choose another of the many concerts this week in Mallorca, we wish you a 2017 full of live music and happiness.
Expo Jurassic Expo , the largest dinosaur exhibition in Europe arrived in Palma de Mallorca 30th January. This prehistoric display at the Polígono de Levante covers an area of 1,000 square meters will close Sunday 28th February .
This traveling exhibition has toured Europe with unprecedented life-size pieces, some of them animatronics , which simulate the appearance and behavior of dinosaurs. Thanks to technological advances dinosaurs move and breathe in what seems a real Jurassic Park to the delight of both adults and children .
In Expo Jurásico you can sew Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, Protoceratops, Parasaurolofus, Stegosaurus, Spinosaurus, Diplodocus and the famous life-size Tyrannosaurus Rex, among others. Didactic projections and some surprises that leave the kids in awe.
Natural habitats with vegetation and scenery designed according to scientific studies on the characteristics of the Earth at that time make the whole exhibition incredibly powerful and realistic.
Anyway… the best thing to do is go see it and enjoy the experience!
- Buy your tickets to Expo Jurásico in Palma de Mallorca
- Dates: From 30th January to 28th February 2016.
- Hours: Monday to Friday 5-9 pm.
- Saturday and Sunday 11am – 2 pm 5-9pm
- Place: Gran Carpa Instalada en el Polígono del Levante
- Prices: General aAdmission € 7 plus booking fee
- Children under 3 have free access.